New TCs starting from 6th June 2022.
These terms and conditions apply to all services by SeaLink Travel Group New Zealand Limited (SeaLink) for travel to and from Rakino Island. Please read these terms and conditions carefully before purchasing a ticket or boarding any SeaLink vessel. By purchasing a ticket or using our services in any way, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. Except where our services are supplied for business purposes, nothing in these terms and conditions is intended to limit your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993. SeaLink may vary these terms and conditions at any time by updating them.
1. General Conditions
1.1. All fares, timetables and vessels are subject to change or cancellation without notice, due to weather, marine or operational requirements. For current information call +64 9 300 5900. SeaLink will not be liable for any losses, liability, damages, costs or expenses incurred as a result of cancellation or delays.
1.2. All fares are in NZD$ and include Goods and Services Tax (15%).
1.3. All bookings are based on space availability and require full payment at the time of booking.
1.4. Every passenger must have a valid ticket or booking confirmation to travel. If a ticket is lost, stolen, defaced or mutilated, a replacement ticket must be purchased before a passenger can travel. SeaLink will not be responsible for any lost, stolen, defaced or mutilated passes, or any unused trips. A valid ticket must be presented for inspection at any time, if requested by any crew or staff.
1.5. Child ferry fares are valid for those 5-15 years inclusive. 0-4 years travel free of charge but for avoidance of doubt, must still have a valid ticket or booking confirmation to travel.
1.6. We strongly recommend that a parent or guardian accompany passengers under 14 years of age on all services. Children under the age of 7 years must be accompanied by an adult passenger at all times. Children aged between 7 and 12 years inclusive may travel alone when a Parent and or Guardian completes an Unaccompanied Minor Travel Authority here or at check-in. For the wellbeing and safety of young children, we recommend you travel with one adult for every 5 children when travelling in a group. If you are travelling as a foot passenger, you’re welcome to bring a car seat or stroller – just ask one of our crew where to stow them during your sailing. Parents or guardians are solely responsible for the behaviour of their children at SeaLink terminals and onboard SeaLink vessels. SeaLink crew and staff have the right to refuse to carry any passenger they consider too young or not competent or fit to travel unaccompanied, or where they consider that it is not appropriate for an unaccompanied child to travel on a specific sailing.
1.7. Seatbelts must be worn whilst boarding and disembarking the vessel in vehicles. Children must be strapped into their car seats.
1.8. Bicycles are transported at the risk of the owner. Transport of bicycles is subject to availability of space. All bicycles must be safely stowed in the dedicated areas of the vessel, usually on the outdoor lower deck, bicycle racks where available or other available space after all passengers have boarded.
1.9. All passengers travelling to/from Rakino Island with or without vehicles should report a minimum of 60 minutes prior to departure. Due to loading requirements, boarding will close 30 minutes prior to departure. SeaLink reserves the right to deny boarding after this time.
1.10. All tickets (including open dated tickets) are valid for 1 calendar year from date of issue. After this date they are considered "Expired" and are Non-refundable and not valid for travel.
1.11. Smoking, vaping or the use of e-cigarettes is not permitted anywhere on our vessels and at our terminals.
2. Fare Types, Booking and Cancellation
2.1. Cheques and cash are not acceptable for payment.
2.2. Vehicle bookings are essential. Foot passenger bookings for peak travelling times (December, January & holiday weekends) and all Dangerous Goods sailings are essential. All other times of the year, bookings are recommended but not essential.
2.3. Expiry dates for tickets, special fares, GrabOne vouchers, special deals or vouchers (for gifts, prizes or general travel) will not be extended under any circumstances.
2.4. Cancellation for passengers and / or vehicles up to 5.9 metres in length: SeaLink reserves the right, in the event of a confirmed / paid booking being cancelled by a passenger, to charge a cancellation fee. Cancellation fees apply to the total booking value and are as follows:
- Cancellation received more than 7 days prior to sailing will be either a $10.00 or 10% of the fare whichever is greater.
- Cancellation received between 7 days and 24 hours prior to sailing will be either $10.00 or 20% of the fare whichever is greater.
- Cancellation received between 7 days and 24 hours prior to sailing will be either $10.00 or 20% of the fare whichever is greater.
- Cancellation less than one hour prior to sailing and/or failure to board – 100% of the fare.
2.5. Cancellation fees for vehicles greater than 5.9 metres in length: Where a confirmed / paid booking is cancelled by a customer or their authorised representative or agent, SeaLink reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee for the vehicle, driver and any passengers. Cancellation fees apply to the individual sailing(s) on that booking and are as follows:
- Cancellation received more than 72 hours prior to sailing will not incur a cancellation fee.
- Cancellation received between 72 hours days and 24 hours prior to sailing will incur of fee of 15% of the fare.
- Cancellation received less than 24 hours prior to sailing or failure to board will incur a fee of 100% of the fare.
2.6. Change fees:
A change fee may be charged for customer-requested amendments to Rakino Island bookings to / from Auckland Central (Hamer Street) and Half Moon Bay. Applicable amendments include changes to the date and/or time of sailing (including for bookings in respect of a vehicle), and where a passenger(s) is removed from a booking. Changes are permitted up until one hour prior to the scheduled departure of your booked reservation. Only one change per booking is permitted, after which any further change will be regarded as a cancellation and will be subject to clauses 2.4, 2.5. Change fees are as follows:
- Vehicles up to 5.9 metres in length: A change fee of $20.00 will apply to all vehicle booking changes which are made by calling our Customer Care Team on 09 300 5900 or in-person at one of our ticket offices. Where a change fee has been charged for a vehicle the passenger (adult, student, child, senior) change fee will not apply to those passengers travelling with the vehicle.
- Foot passengers: A change fee of $5.00 will apply to all passenger booking changes (adult, student, child, senior) which are made by calling our Customer Care Team on 09 300 5900 or in-person at one of our ticket offices when they are travelling as a foot passenger (not travelling with a vehicle).
- For vehicles greater than 5.9 metres in length: A change fee of $30.00 will apply to all vehicle booking changes which are made by the customer or their authorized representative or agent. Where a change fee has been charged for a vehicle the passenger (adult, student, child, senior) change fee will not apply to those passengers travelling with the vehicle.
2.7. Vehicles, types of vehicles and loading requirements:
- Pricing for vehicles is subject to the length of the vehicle. Standard vehicle pricing is detailed on our website www.sealink.co.nz or can be obtained by contacting our Sales Centre on (09) 300 5900. For vehicles longer than 5.5 metres a quote will need to be requested.
- Vehicles with low undercarriages must take care when driving onboard as SeaLink will not be responsible for any damage incurred during loading.
- On days with heavy loadings, you may be asked to vacate your vehicle immediately once onboard.
2.8. Unaccompanied vehicles or trailers can only travel on certain sailings and by prior arrangement which must be made by calling SeaLink on +64 9 300 5900. Loading and unloading fees apply per vehicle. Unaccompanied vehicle pricing is detailed on our website www.sealink.co.nz. Due to loading requirements, unaccompanied vehicles or trailers should be available for boarding no later than 60 minutes prior to departure. SeaLink reserves the right to deny boarding for any unaccompanied vehicle (s) or trailer (s) where a prior arrangement has not been made with us. All unaccompanied vehicles must be collected upon arrival at our terminals, except by prior arrangement with us. A fee of $57 may be charged for vehicles that are not collected promptly. SeaLink does not accept any liability for theft or damage to unaccompanied vehicles that have been unloaded at our terminals.
2.9. Making changes to your bookings during Covid alert levels: In any case where you have booked on a sailing and your ability to travel on that sailing is restricted because Covid Alert Levels are increased to Level 3 or Level 4 (or where any other Government directive similarly restricts your travel) you may cancel or change your booking:
- No change fee will apply.
- You will not have to pay the fare difference when making any change to a booking.
- If you wish to cancel your booking outright, we will provide you with a credit to the value of the booked fare valid for 12 months from the cancellation date.
- To redeem a Covid related credit and make a further booking you must contact our Customer Care Team on (09) 300 5900 or email [email protected].
3. Service Standards
3.1. Except as expressly set out in these terms, we shall:
- provide a suitable vessel(s) for the you and assign to such vessels appropriate crew; and
- use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that at all times the vessels and operations comply with all legal obligations in respect of operation of a ferry service.
3.2. We reserve the right to:
- change our schedule of sailings at any time and without any prior notice;
- cancel any sailing without any notice; or
- refuse carriage of any person, vehicle, or any class of goods,
including, without limitation, due to health and safety, weather and/or availability of vessel or crew reasons. In the event we do so, we will use reasonable endeavours to accommodate you on the next appropriate sailing by us but shall not otherwise have any liability to you.
4. Conditions of Carriage
4.1. Passengers travel at their own risk and (to the extent permitted by law) SeaLink will not be responsible for any loss, damage, cost, expense or injury suffered by you or loss or damage to your property or any other persons property (including, without limitation, in all cases, as a result of negligence. Without limiting the foregoing, the following conditions apply:
- SeaLink will not be liable for any loss, damage or delay caused by or arising from an event beyond the control of SeaLink, including any act of God, inevitable accident, riot, civil commotion, strike, lock-out, stoppage or restraint of labour, regardless of the cause and whether partial or general.
- SeaLink does not warrant that services will be available at any particular time or at all. SeaLink is not liable to you or any other person:
- for any consequences arising from any variation or delay in the time of arrival or departure from any wharf or stop of any vessel;
- for any loss or damage as a result of a cancellation or any variation of the time of arrival or departure from any wharf or stop of any vessel;
- for damage to any of your property; or
- the death of any passenger or other person or for injury, harm disease or damage to health, whether physical, mental or otherwise (including mental or nervous shock or distress) suffered by a passenger or other person.
4.2. If there is contributory negligence on the part of a passenger or other person, SeaLink’s liability is subject to the law relating to contributory negligence.
4.3. You will indemnify SeaLink at all times against any loss, damage or cost suffered or incurred by SeaLink as a direct or indirect result of a breach by you of your obligations under these Terms and Conditions.
4.4. Any carriage of goods (including vehicles and belongings within vehicles) is deemed to be at "limited carrier's risk" in accordance with Part 5 Subpart 1 of the Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017 (Act). SeaLink's liability is limited to the value of $2,000.00 in respect of each unit of goods lost or damaged or such other amount as specified under the Act from time to time.
4.5. We strongly recommend that you take out motor vehicle, personal or travel insurance to cover any unforeseen circumstances that may arise. SeaLink does not accept liability for inadequate insurance as well as your failure to effect insurance on your own behalf.
4.6. SeaLink’s liability for loss or damage to property may be further limited if you fail to take steps to eliminate the risk of loss, damage or theft of your property. All claims for loss or damage must be received by SeaLink within 21 days of the relevant sailing.
4.7. All luggage taken on-board is carried at the owner’s risk. SeaLink accepts no responsibility for any lost, stolen or damaged luggage. Please be mindful with your luggage and keep all valuable items with you at all times.
4.8. SeaLink is not in any circumstances liable for any loss of profits, indirect or consequential loss or damage.
4.9. Passengers shall not remove, damage or interfere with any part of SeaLink property. Any traveler who interferes with, damages or causes damage to any SeaLink property shall be liable for the cost of the repair and reinstatement of that property together with any other losses, damage or expense incurred by SeaLink as a consequence.
4.10. SeaLink reserves the right to refuse to carry any person, or to seek to remove, or remove from the vehicle any traveler, who is intoxicated, drugged, or behaving in a manner which is dangerous or offensive or who is in SeaLink’s opinion unfit to travel, and who refuses to comply with any direction made by SeaLink.
Health and Safety
4.11. When on our vessels and at our depots or terminals, you and each of your personnel, representatives, agents and subcontractors (whether direct or indirect) must comply with:
- all health and safety laws and regulations;
- our safety, security, operational, drug and alcohol and other requirements/policies, as advised by us from time to time; and
- reasonable directions from our staff with regard to health and safety matters.
4.12. We will comply with our obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and any regulations, codes of practice and guidelines relevant to the industry. Notwithstanding any other provision of these terms, we shall not be restricted in any way from (nor liable to you in any way as a result of) complying with such health and safety requirements.
4.13. SeaLink reserves the right to refuse to refuse carriage of and / or remove from its vessels or terminals any dangerous goods that are in any way volatile in nature, offensive or which may cause harm to SeaLink passengers or crew.
4.14. The carriage of dangerous goods is regulated by the Maritime Transport Act 1994 and by Maritime Rules. Where you request SeaLink to carry any dangerous goods:
- they must be declared to SeaLink at the time of booking; and
- a dangerous goods form must be completed and handed in at check-in.
Failure to declare dangerous goods and/or complete a dangerous goods form may result in the cancellation of your ticket and a ban on future travel with SeaLink. (For further information and conditions see here
4.15. On designated Dangerous Goods (DG) sailings, all drivers and passengers are required to vacate their vehicles and vehicle deck for the duration of the sailing.
4.16. No bees or hives are to be transported on a regular sailing at any time. All such movements must be at night or in the evening on an individual charter or a fuel run, where passengers are normally not present. This is to be arranged with SeaLink. The bee keeper and transporter is required to remain on board and monitor the load. The hive must be suitably covered with netting to prevent the bees from escaping. The bee keeper and transporter must agree with SeaLink on a suitable emergency plan and medical provision prior to sailing. SeaLink reserves the right to refuse carriage of bees or hives at any time and shipping is at the master's discretion.
4.17. Carriage of domestic animals is permitted but not in the café/food service area unless they are a registered disability assist dog. Animals must always be attended to and kept under the strict control of the accompanying passenger. SeaLink reserves the right to refuse carriage of any animal at any time.
4.18. Carriage of Disability Assist Dogs is permitted, provided the dog is registered and displaying its Ministry of Civil Defence tag.
4.19. Owners will be fully responsible for their pets and must abide by all legislation and bylaws relating to their pets and follow all crew directions. Failure to follow instructions will mean the domestic animal will not be allowed to travel.
4.20. The Hauraki Gulf is a controlled area with respect to the movement of animal pests* under the Auckland Regional Pest Strategy. The movement of pests into and out of, or from another place within the Gulf is prohibited. SeaLink supports the conservation of the Hauraki Gulf Islands and will advise the appropriate authority if any passenger or vehicle is seen to be carrying these animal pests.
*Animal pests include but are not limited to - possums, deer and feral goats, wallabies, mustelids, rabbits, ferrets, and stoats. For more information or clarification, please phone our Customer Care Team on (09) 300 5900 or visit here.
For more information or clarification, please phone 0800 SEALINK (0800 732 546).
5.1. We strongly recommend that you take out motor vehicle, personal and/or travel insurance to cover any unforeseen circumstances that may arise. Cancellation insurance is inexpensive and highly recommended as disrupted plans can prove costly. We recommend you contact your insurance provider who will assist you to choose the right cover.
5.2. SeaLink does not accept any liability for inadequate insurance or any failure by you to effect insurance on your own behalf.
6. Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 and Fair Traiding Act 1986
6.1. Where you are engaged “in trade” and the services are supplied and acquired by you “in trade” SeaLink and you agree that the terms of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 shall not apply to the extent permitted by section 43 of that act.
6.2. Where you are engaged “in trade” and the services are supplied and acquired by you “in trade”, SeaLink and you agree that sections 9, 12A and 13 of the Fair Trading Act 1986 shall not apply and SeaLink shall have no liability for any misrepresentation or omission to the extent permitted by section 5D of that act.