If we collect your personal information it is to supply and improve the services we offer to you and to keep you informed about marketing content, including news about ferry sailings, exclusive travel deals and events.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner provides further details of the Privacy Act 1993 and how it protects personal information in New Zealand.
The information we collect
As part of our operations we may gather certain types of information about the users of our sites or services:
- Personal information. “Personal information” is any information that can identify an individual either directly or indirectly (i.e. by reference to other information we have access to). Such personal information might include your name, address, contact details, billing information and other information required to process transactions. Such personal information is provided by you (or someone authorised by you or your organisation) when you register for services that we offer. Examples of the services we offer could include providing email newsletters or details of events to you. Providing personal information will always be optional for you. However, some services may not be available to you if you choose not to provide personal information to us.
- Aggregated Data. this information is generated by our systems as they track traffic through our sites. This information does not identify you personally and is not linked to the personal information that you may have provided.
SeaLink has implemented a subscription system, designed to offer users a more rewarding and personalised customer experience ("Membership").
To obtain the full benefits of Membership, users are required to subscribe to the regular newsletter. When you subscribe to receive our newsletter, we collect certain information such as your name and email address and preferred destination so that we can advise you of exclusive travel deals and news.
Any further collection of your personal information than that explained above will only occur with consent from you.
Who we share this information with
Your personal information (as well as aggregated data) may be hosted with, or disclosed to, a service provider. This includes (but isn’t limited to) service providers assisting us with the purposes set out below, information technology suppliers and research agencies. Our agreements with them protect the information that we collect from any unauthorised use.
Your personal information (as well as aggregated data) may be shared with other third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required or permitted to do so by law.
The aggregated data (not the personal information) may be shared with third parties such as our advertisers or business partners. We only share your information with third parties if we have received your permission (usually at the time of collection).
What else we do with personally identifiable information
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To process any transactions that you might make on our site.
- To help provide any other services that you have requested.
- To improve the services we offer to you.
- To offer the most relevant information suitable to you and your interests.
- For any marketing, promotional, publicity, marketing or market research that we might undertake.
- From time to time we may use your data to target you through social media channels, like Facebook. In this case, we match encrypted (hashed) email addresses with encrypted Facebook data to identify a match in a secure environment. The hashed data is deleted as soon as the match is complete and never kept or used by Facebook or shared with any third party.
- For any other purposes for which you have given permission.
Security of personal information
Your details are securely stored in our systems. We use physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information.
No data transmissions over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make efforts to ensure security on our systems.
You are also responsible for helping to protect the security of your personal information. For instance, never give out your password, and safeguard your user name and password when you are using our services. You are responsible for maintaining the security of any device on which you access our services.
What about cookies?
A cookie is a small file that resides on your computer and is recognised by our server when you visit our sites. A cookie does not provide us with any personal information. It does provide details of your IP address, the computer platform that you use (e.g. Mac or Windows), the browser that you use (e.g. Microsoft Explorer, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari) and what domain you are accessing our sites from.
- Track traffic patterns to our sites (including estimating and reporting on our total audience size and traffic).
- Ensure that the most relevant content is being shown to you
- Keep track of preferences you specify while you are visiting our sites.
- Conduct research to improve the content and services provided on our sites.
What about third-party cookies?
Third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the Facebook cookie) together to inform, optimise, and serve ads on the internet based on someone's past visits to our website.
What about our business partners?
Opting in and opting out
You have the option to opt in to certain services and to opt out of those services at any stage. This means you may change your mind at any stage about participating in any of our services.
You are welcome to contact us in order to 'opt-out' of receiving further communications from us. We will action your request within a reasonable timeframe from receipt of your message. Email us with your full name, email address and mobile number for us to action your request.
How long do we keep personal information?
We retain your personal information for as long as you have a membership account with us or for so long as it is needed to be able to provide our services to you.
If your membership program or newsletter Membership is terminated we will delete your personal information unless it is necessary or required to meet legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, or to prevent fraud or abuse.
Can we change this policy?
Your right to access our information
The Privacy Act 1993 gives you the right to access and correct your personal information. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993. You can view the full Privacy Act 1993 on the New Zealand Legislation website.
You are welcome to contact us at any time to access, update or delete your personal information. A request for access to your personal information may be subject to a fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the personal information we hold about you.
SeaLink New Zealand Ltd,
PO Box 90-543,
Victoria Street West,