With its white, sandy beaches and thermal hot springs; its crystal-clear waters for snorkelling and diving; and its verdant forests for fabulous nature walks, Great Barrier Island offers everything for the independent traveller who wants to get away from it all to a simpler way of life. In keeping with this, Manuka Lodge offers affordable self-contained accommodation, set in tranquil gardens and utilising solar power and rainwater. A small owner/operated establishment with two self-contained studio units. Each unit has a private balcony with views of the harbour and gulf and is suitable for two guests. Close proximity to shop, restaurant, cafe and 100m from a safe swimming beach
• Bookings for December and January: Any cancellation within 30 days of the booked date will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of the total nights booked.
• In all other cases, a cancellation within 30 days of the booked date incurs a cancellation fee of 50% of the total nights booked.
• A cancellation within 7 days of the booked date incurs a cancellation fee of 100% of the total nights booked.
• There is no refund for early departures. Limited special exceptions may apply.
What to bring or not:
• Manuka Lodge provides all linen, towels (except beach towels), cooking necessities and complimentary tea and coffee — max out your weight allowance with basic food items, so your expenses are limited to fresh vegetables and meat.
• Manuka Lodge has a book exchange so you don't have to use too much of your weight allowance on reading material.
• Great Barrier Island is all about the simple life. Manuka Lodge has electricity, but you can save luggage space by leaving at home all those electrical items such as hair driers and the playstation!
• Do remember to pack your camera, though — and extra film if it's not digital.
• Don't forget your sunblock, and bring any special medications you may need. There is a pharmacy on the island, but unusual items have to be ordered in.
• Cash to pay your way.