View Great Barrier Island in a larger map
(This itinerary is based on a Friday departure. Please call us for other suggestions.)
Check in 60 minutes prior to your departure from Wynyard Quarter, Auckland City.
8:00am Depart from Wynyard Quarter
12:30pm Arrive Tryphena, Great Barrier Island
Make your way to your accommodation and check in. Choose an afternoon activity:
- Visit local artists Sarah Harrison (potter) and the Black Cow where Peter Edmonds (wood carver and painter) and Fenella Christian (painter) are based
- Sit in comfort and style while you enjoy unobstructed views and feel the 'wind in your face' freedom that only a ride on a Crazyhorse trike can offer
- Enjoy a leisurely walk along Pah Beach at Tryphena
- Walk along Medlands Beach or go for a surf (wave permitting)
Dinner by arrangement.
Embark on your day tour of the island. The island is steeped in history and there are many families living there today whose forbears were the first settlers. Your tour today will include little local museums, Windy Canyon for 360 degree views of this island paradise and a walk into the Kaitoke Hot Springs for a Barrier style spa in the bush. Boil the billy on the beach for a cuppa before returning to your accommodation.
Dinner by arrangement or maybe meet up with the locals down at the pub.
Enjoy a leisurely day on the island or sample from one of the items below
- Enjoy a half day kayak tour around picturesque Whangaparapara Harbour
- Take a guided walk through Glenfern Sanctuary over a swing bridge into the crown of a 600 year old kauri tree (entry time 11am - approx 1.5hours). Bookings essential.
- Take a 30 min gentle graded walk on Warrens track from Port Fitzroy through a kauri plantation to a waterfall where the stream has many deep pools that are ideal for swimming
Lunch by arrangement.
Make your way back to the wharf for your return sailing to Auckland.
3:00pm Depart from Tryphena
7:30pm Arrive Wynyard Quarter, Auckland City
This itinerary is just a sample of what you could choose to do on the island.
PLEASE GIVE US A CALL FOR BOOKINGS, QUOTES OR OTHER IDEAS.